20080602

Essential Yoga Stuff for Beginners


Gaiam Yoga MatGaiam Yoga Mat


Gaiam Yoga Mat
A mat is extremely helpful for preventing slippage & unnecessary stress. Of the mats I have tried, I know Gaiam's are pretty durable & stick better than most. To prevent joint pain (esp. in the knees), put a rug under the mat, or use 2 mats right on top of each other.





Hugger Mugger Cork Yoga BlockHugger Mugger Cork Yoga Block


Hugger Mugger Cork Yoga Block
Blocks are an extremely helpful tool in yoga, especially if you aren't as flexible. I recommend getting 2 (identical) blocks. I believe this kind to be more durable than many others, like Gaiam makes.




8 Foot Cinch Buckle Yoga Strap8 Foot Cinch Buckle Yoga Strap


8 Foot Cinch Buckle Yoga Strap
A strap is also helpful, especially for those less flexible. A strap is usually just a strap, but it's probably worth spending the extra dollar for the longer length. Actually, a long belt often works just as well, but I do prefer plastic buckles, in case I get a little clumsy & hit myself!





Yoga Journal's Yoga for BeginnersYoga Journal's Yoga for Beginners


Yoga Journal's Yoga for Beginners
Fortunately for me, this DVD was my first lesson in yoga. Years later, I still use the information from this DVD on a regular basis. Patricia Walden manages to explain all the complex aspects of yoga in simple terms. I have never seen another beginner's DVD that is so informative, yet so accessible! A+




A.M. and P.M. Yoga For BeginnersA.M. and P.M. Yoga For Beginners


A.M. and P.M. Yoga For Beginners
Here is another great beginner's DVD. A quick warm-up for the morning & quick wind-down for the evening. This is a nice basic DVD that easily fits into any schedule and most fitness levels. A





Yoga for Stress Relief (With The Dalai Lama)Yoga for Stress Relief (With The Dalai Lama)


Yoga for Stress Relief (With The Dalai Lama)
A nice gentle yoga DVD for most levels of ability, which adds versatility to your yoga collection. There are all kinds of mini-routines of varying lengths. The routines battle everything from depression to anxiety to lower back pain to headaches, and all of them are helpful for relieving stress. A-